Thursday, May 21, 2009

July 18 2005 MOT Grandma being abused

momoftreasures Mon Oct-16-06 09:53 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2005
1133 posts

#225851, "Grandma in Hospital SICK WHAT CAN I DO????"


Ok my DH grandma fell and broke her hip on Wednesday... She also hit her head and had to have surgury......
Well she is 8 years old and this Aunt is suppose to be taking care of her. SHe is actually receiving a check to DO SO.. She is suppose to cook meals for her ect. She is getting a check for SSI and one from Grandpa who passed away I believe..... ANyway, I went to her house to help everyone clean it this weekend.... and I was so ashamed and upset.. WE live about 5 hours away so it is very hard for us to see her. Anyway she had nothing NO FOOD... At least I could take all of her food and spices and put them into the bottom shelf of one cuboard.. NO LYE....... She had NOTHING in her freezer except the bread she had made the night she feel.....
The doctors said that she had fallen several times before and obviously was not taken to the hospital because she had an old brain bleed. They had to go in and clean it out and stop the new bleed from her last fall. She seems to be doing ok except for the pain medication because the last time she was in the doctor was when my FIL was born... ya 55 years ago... Anyway, she has no power of attorney and is very protective of this uncle and aunt that live next door that take care of her however, I don't believe she is in her right frame of mind because even last night she complained about how they steal from her... UGH they are stealing everything even her GROCERIES.. I have no idea what I should do or can do..
I am mandated to report this right???????

Do you feel my PAIN?
THis is SO SO SO WRONG....

Their is so much more to the story,,, her two sons that lived with her died this summer within 4 wks of each other.. since then it has obviously been STEAL FROM grandma.....
How can I stop this? How can I get her here? What do I do i am in school and in an apartment and hardly have the resources to take care of her during the day? Do they have programs were someone could take care of her during the day when I am at school? I mean we would be the best place for her safety wise and loving wise?

UGH

Sorry for the questions I really needed to vent...

AMy

Amy Houle

When you're down to nothing, God is always up to something....

Mom to four awesome kids.

Nathaniel My pride and JOY
11-25-99
My awesome blessings
Jeremiah My blue eyed baby
Hannah My sweet little princess
Gabriel My true angel from heaven
5-



Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top




Replies to this topic


gracy3 Mon Oct-16-06 10:03 AM
Member since Jul 18th 2005
2166 posts

#225852, "RE: Grandma in Hospital SICK WHAT CAN I DO????"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-16-06 10:03 AM by gracy3

Sorry this has happened. Check with Medicade - she may be eligible for a home health aide for up to 20 hr/week. They basically come in and cook for her, clean, help her bathe, etc.

I had one for my mom while she was bedridden and living with us.

Unfortunatley, if her hip is broken, that is not a good thing at her age. She may not be able to go home again, so nursing care may also be something to look into.

Hugs and prayers....

Gracy
BGG (9/18/04 @ 31 weeks) and G (3/6/06 at 38 weeks)...
Save the babies!
www.marchforbabies.org/4littlesplinters




Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top




Guest4yrogirls Mon Oct-16-06 01:01 PM
Member since Nov 05th 2007
14 posts

#225878, "RE: Grandma in Hospital SICK WHAT CAN I DO????"
In response to Reply # 0


Amy-
This is a very hard situation. There are government agencies for the elderly like Area Agency on Aging and the Senior Council and Senior Center where you can start looking into things. If she is qualified for medicaid than she most like can get into a nursing home if you're not able to take care of her and the state will help pay for it. Sadly many people just look at the added income they are getting from SSI or retirement checks and not really care for people. It's so sad that people just don't take care of elder family members like they use to. I wish I could be of more help.


Take care

aka TripletMommy2002 (waiting to get in touch with Jeff to get my password reset)



Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top




bboop59388 Mon Oct-16-06 02:20 PM
Member since Nov 05th 2007
265 posts

#225896, "RE: Grandma in Hospital SICK WHAT CAN I DO????"
In response to Reply # 0


I know it's such a helpless feeling and I'm sorry you're having to go through this.



When my Mother had a knee replacement, Medicaid paid for home healthcare worker. Definately check with them. I would also contact the authorities regarding the stealing and see what they can do.

Good Luck,
Nancy

Born at 28 weeks

Rebecca 2 lb 11 oz
Dallas - 2 lb 8 oz
Lily - Our Little Angel in Heaven



http://lilypie.com>

http://lilypie.com>




Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top




anxiousabuela Mon Oct-16-06 03:51 PM
Member since Nov 05th 2007
670 posts

#225908, "RE: Grandma in Hospital SICK WHAT CAN I DO????"
In response to Reply # 0


Amy -
Calling the Council on Aging would be a good start. In our area, they have day 'respite' care for elderly. You may also be refered to Department of Family Services. As well as investigating 'child neglect', in our area, they also sometimes investigate neglect of the elderly and handicapped. They may tell you how to get temporary custody until everything is settled.



Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

No comments:

Post a Comment